Stgeli's Allotment blog

|

Describing my allotment since 2011

More forking and potatoes

April 17th, 2011

Got my initial patch finally forked with the first round of weed removal. The left over second potatoes plus some that were just hanging around from shop bought ones also went in. I have probably three more rows worth of space and that bed is full.

At least the ones planted a few weeks ago are starting to show which is heartening. The bed is benefiting from the lack of water in that the weeds are being kept down.

More sowing

April 17th, 2011

Added a row of shallots to the onion bed. These aren’t the super strong varieties that we pickle, the small number that I have left of those are due to go in soon.

I also got carrots, lettuce and radish sown outside plus brassicas inside. Due to a massive over production of cabbages through the years, I’m limiting these to significantly less. Since I know that we’re responsible for Christmas lunch this year sprouts were also included. Stuff such as turnip, kohl rabi and swede will go in at a later date.

More things in the ground and on it

April 9th, 2011

Another hours long session today with beans, peas and potatoes going into the ground. I also covered the area around the fruit trees with cardboard to keep the weeds down.

Long days work

April 8th, 2011

Had a day off today so was able to get caught up with the planting of onions and parsnips. Both these take about 90 minutes each to properly get them sorted.

The onions needed a chunk of ground forking over then planting the sets so that there is enough space between them. The parsnips need cone shaped holes creating, filling with a mixture of compost and grit sand and finally three seeds sown in each one. It’s a lot of faff but does result in fantastic large non-forked roots.

 

More weeding

April 6th, 2011

The new allotment is being created out of a huge patch of weed-infested ground that includes Himalayan Balsam, dock, buttercup and grass. The former is straightforward as it is an annual but the latter weeds are a huge pain to deal with. So after digging an area just to break up the soil it has to be forked over to remove as many roots as possible.

This is long and time consuming business with little more than two square yards possible in thirty minutes when the going is really bad. It pays dividends in about three years when things get easier but it’s really hard work to begin with.

But having done it before, I know that it will get easier so it’s worth the effort and being close to the house means that I don’t have to spend thirty minutes travelling time so can do a bit each evening.

You get a huge pile of weeds and roots at the end of it ‘though.

Long winded way of saying that another small patch of previously dug wasteland was forked over and the rubbish growing within was partially thinned out.

Watering things

April 5th, 2011

Slight lack of time has meant that all I’ve been able to do up at the allotment has been water the leeks and onions that were sown a while back. Some have failed to appear and have been resown with newer seed.

The rest of the crop seem to be doing well along with that sown at home.

New potatoes

April 2nd, 2011

This is new in both type and location as I got the remainder of my first earlies planted in the new allotment at home. It seemed like a sensible thing as it will be nice to have new potatoes straight from the ground without a twenty minute journey back.

Potatoes!

April 1st, 2011

Got the first early potatoes in the ground. Two rows of ten sets each. One of Home Guard and the other Swift. Not that many in a row and I had some left over to plant back at the new garden at home.

Preparing for potatoes

March 28th, 2011

Potatoes are a good way of breaking up soil that has had nothing of value in it ever. Therefore the first crop that will go into the new places will be good old spuds.

Forking through the weeds is a long and tiring process particularly as I only have a border fork at the moment until I finally get around to buying a proper one. Plus there are lots of seriously deep rooted weeds plus last year’s crop of Hymilayan balsam have started to show.

Long term and lots of work but in about three years it will start to look like my allotment currently does.

Something in the ground

March 24th, 2011

At last I have a line stretched across a planting bed. In this case it is broad beans which have never failed me in all the years I have been the keeper of that plot. I’m just planting four rows over the next four or so weeks as they tend to produce a lot of beans so that many is enough for us over the year.

They also attract bees which is a good thing these days.

I also took up the first large sheet of cardboard to place around the fruit bushes and trees for coverage.