Stgeli's Allotment blog

|

Describing my allotment since 2011

Sun and sunflowers

May 31st, 2011

Slight error on my part meant that I didn’t have my hat on what was a rather warm afternoon. This limited my work out in the open to just clearing an area and then planting out the sunflowers grown from seed at home. I didn’t have any last year and hadn’t realised until I noticed that the normal place looked very bare round about August.

Another row of turnips, that I strangely enough called beetroot on the plant label, and that we me done for the afternoon as the sun was starting to get to me.

Brassicas

May 29th, 2011

Spent almost the whole morning putting up the netting over the area where my brassicas will be planted. So my cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts and kohl rabi are now protected from the interests of the pigeons. Unlike previous years, I’m only planting as many as I know I will need. So just enough cabbages to pickle and a few sprouts for Christmas. Plenty of kohl rabi, ‘though as they are a very useful vegetable and well worth growing.

The area itself is a bit of a pain to get into not helped by a rather badly planned portion of lower netting. Still it’s functional and the act of planting out has cleared a bit more space in my greenhouse.

Another area prepared

May 28th, 2011

Added another piece of open prepared ground to the small part currently containing potatoes. I had had a carpet down since last autumn and took that up revealing a nicely cleared area of earth. It wasn’t totally cleared as I found while forking it over but the thistle roots are easy to spot and filled up several buckets.

Still, it looks good and the edging is neat and immediately I sowed lettuce and radish. The potatoes are all doing rather well with the second earlies about a foot above the soil now and the main crop just poking their way through.

More weeding

May 27th, 2011

Being too windy to do any net based work, I just did a load more weeding of areas such as the lavender at the front. That has been a constant good performer since it was grown from seed several years ago although it is difficult to get all the grass out from in between the individual plants.

Lots of work

May 22nd, 2011

Spent most of the morning tidying up the greenhouse to accommodate the newly arrived tomato plants from home. I managed to rid myself of some trays and pots by planting out the lettuce and onions that I had grown from seed.

Plenty of sowing as well. To cover for the poor performance of the sweetcorn propagation, I sowed some more in the hope that I’ll have enough for a decent crop. I also sowed more lettuce indoors and some radish outside. Talking of radish, the first crop was picked and was very nice.

Pea protection

May 20th, 2011

My first two rows of peas are now ready for a supporting structure. Back in the olden days, I used to stick in branches and such like for the plants to climb up but that took a long time to set up, was difficult to clear at the end of the season plus there was always lots of breakage. These days I use the thick pig wire fencing as it is a lot easier to put up and down. Since I have lots of pigeons up there then there has to be a level of protection for the small plants until they get about a foot high. More fencing and wire is the solution rather than nets which get unwieldy.

More weeding of the lavender to try and tidy that up. The couch grass that grows between it is pretty much impossible to totally remove without digging up the lavender itself so I have to just get what I can and keep pulling it up regularly.

More weeding and watering

May 18th, 2011

Lots more weeding and watering of what is growing. I also filled in the gaps in my broad bean row with the spare plants that you sow just in case. Only about four failed to come up so that’s not too bad in a row of 20 or so given that they are last year’s collected seed.

As always, parsnips are the bane of my life up there. I have about 1/4 of those sown coming through so have sown some more in trays and pots to try and fill in the gaps. Generally parsnips don’t like being transplanted but I’m hoping that taking a whole plug of earth and plant might help.

April 24th, 2011

Nice early start meant that I was much more into the 90 minute session that I spent up there.

Sowed broad beans, peas, more radish and turnips plus some lettuce in the greenhouse ready for planting out. I tend to do lettuce using direct to ground and pots to plant out as they seem to work equally well.

It’s desperately in need of rain up there but fortunately I still have enough in store to be able to water things.

This regular watering means that things are really starting to show mostly the beans, peas and onions are benefiting from the time spent with the watering can. Only the parsnips haven’t germinated yet although it is not unusual for them to need three sowings.

April 22nd, 2011

Another long session where I got loads done despite being up there later than planned.

I got the wire around the brassicas, onions and salad vegetables put up. This should keep the rabbits at bay and in conjunction with a net, the pigeons.

I also sowed come kohl rabi in the greenhouse and did the usual round of watering given the lack of rain for the past two weeks.

I also noticed that I have a hole in one of my water barrels which I will have to plug with some sealant.

April 19th, 2011

Short watering visit where all the plants got a good soaking to compensate for the long period of time with no rain. I also got the small number of strong shallots that we pickle planted. There probably won’t be enough for this year to use but they will be saved for next year.

It’s actually not looking too bad up there at the moment despite the lack of rain. The broad beans, peas and potatoes are already showing and we had our first asparagus spears earlier this week.