Stgeli's Allotment blog

|

Describing my allotment since 2011

Archive for May, 2011

Two more rows

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011

Row of salad onions and beetroot in the newly created area. The soil is a bit lumpy so I’m not expecting miracles but it ought to be reasonably fertile only having had weeds growing on it for all this time. The area left will be home to some pumpkins and courgette plants.

Sun and sunflowers

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011

Slight error on my part meant that I didn’t have my hat on what was a rather warm afternoon. This limited my work out in the open to just clearing an area and then planting out the sunflowers grown from seed at home. I didn’t have any last year and hadn’t realised until I noticed that the normal place looked very bare round about August.

Another row of turnips, that I strangely enough called beetroot on the plant label, and that we me done for the afternoon as the sun was starting to get to me.

Brassicas

Sunday, May 29th, 2011

Spent almost the whole morning putting up the netting over the area where my brassicas will be planted. So my cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts and kohl rabi are now protected from the interests of the pigeons. Unlike previous years, I’m only planting as many as I know I will need. So just enough cabbages to pickle and a few sprouts for Christmas. Plenty of kohl rabi, ‘though as they are a very useful vegetable and well worth growing.

The area itself is a bit of a pain to get into not helped by a rather badly planned portion of lower netting. Still it’s functional and the act of planting out has cleared a bit more space in my greenhouse.

Another area prepared

Saturday, May 28th, 2011

Added another piece of open prepared ground to the small part currently containing potatoes. I had had a carpet down since last autumn and took that up revealing a nicely cleared area of earth. It wasn’t totally cleared as I found while forking it over but the thistle roots are easy to spot and filled up several buckets.

Still, it looks good and the edging is neat and immediately I sowed lettuce and radish. The potatoes are all doing rather well with the second earlies about a foot above the soil now and the main crop just poking their way through.

More weeding

Friday, May 27th, 2011

Being too windy to do any net based work, I just did a load more weeding of areas such as the lavender at the front. That has been a constant good performer since it was grown from seed several years ago although it is difficult to get all the grass out from in between the individual plants.

Lots of work

Sunday, May 22nd, 2011

Spent most of the morning tidying up the greenhouse to accommodate the newly arrived tomato plants from home. I managed to rid myself of some trays and pots by planting out the lettuce and onions that I had grown from seed.

Plenty of sowing as well. To cover for the poor performance of the sweetcorn propagation, I sowed some more in the hope that I’ll have enough for a decent crop. I also sowed more lettuce indoors and some radish outside. Talking of radish, the first crop was picked and was very nice.

Pea protection

Friday, May 20th, 2011

My first two rows of peas are now ready for a supporting structure. Back in the olden days, I used to stick in branches and such like for the plants to climb up but that took a long time to set up, was difficult to clear at the end of the season plus there was always lots of breakage. These days I use the thick pig wire fencing as it is a lot easier to put up and down. Since I have lots of pigeons up there then there has to be a level of protection for the small plants until they get about a foot high. More fencing and wire is the solution rather than nets which get unwieldy.

More weeding of the lavender to try and tidy that up. The couch grass that grows between it is pretty much impossible to totally remove without digging up the lavender itself so I have to just get what I can and keep pulling it up regularly.

More weeding and watering

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011

Lots more weeding and watering of what is growing. I also filled in the gaps in my broad bean row with the spare plants that you sow just in case. Only about four failed to come up so that’s not too bad in a row of 20 or so given that they are last year’s collected seed.

As always, parsnips are the bane of my life up there. I have about 1/4 of those sown coming through so have sown some more in trays and pots to try and fill in the gaps. Generally parsnips don’t like being transplanted but I’m hoping that taking a whole plug of earth and plant might help.