Stgeli's Allotment blog

|

Describing my allotment since 2011

Archive for the ‘Existing allotment’ Category

Pea protection

Friday, May 20th, 2011

My first two rows of peas are now ready for a supporting structure. Back in the olden days, I used to stick in branches and such like for the plants to climb up but that took a long time to set up, was difficult to clear at the end of the season plus there was always lots of breakage. These days I use the thick pig wire fencing as it is a lot easier to put up and down. Since I have lots of pigeons up there then there has to be a level of protection for the small plants until they get about a foot high. More fencing and wire is the solution rather than nets which get unwieldy.

More weeding of the lavender to try and tidy that up. The couch grass that grows between it is pretty much impossible to totally remove without digging up the lavender itself so I have to just get what I can and keep pulling it up regularly.

More weeding and watering

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011

Lots more weeding and watering of what is growing. I also filled in the gaps in my broad bean row with the spare plants that you sow just in case. Only about four failed to come up so that’s not too bad in a row of 20 or so given that they are last year’s collected seed.

As always, parsnips are the bane of my life up there. I have about 1/4 of those sown coming through so have sown some more in trays and pots to try and fill in the gaps. Generally parsnips don’t like being transplanted but I’m hoping that taking a whole plug of earth and plant might help.

Sunday, April 24th, 2011

Nice early start meant that I was much more into the 90 minute session that I spent up there.

Sowed broad beans, peas, more radish and turnips plus some lettuce in the greenhouse ready for planting out. I tend to do lettuce using direct to ground and pots to plant out as they seem to work equally well.

It’s desperately in need of rain up there but fortunately I still have enough in store to be able to water things.

This regular watering means that things are really starting to show mostly the beans, peas and onions are benefiting from the time spent with the watering can. Only the parsnips haven’t germinated yet although it is not unusual for them to need three sowings.

Friday, April 22nd, 2011

Another long session where I got loads done despite being up there later than planned.

I got the wire around the brassicas, onions and salad vegetables put up. This should keep the rabbits at bay and in conjunction with a net, the pigeons.

I also sowed come kohl rabi in the greenhouse and did the usual round of watering given the lack of rain for the past two weeks.

I also noticed that I have a hole in one of my water barrels which I will have to plug with some sealant.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011

Short watering visit where all the plants got a good soaking to compensate for the long period of time with no rain. I also got the small number of strong shallots that we pickle planted. There probably won’t be enough for this year to use but they will be saved for next year.

It’s actually not looking too bad up there at the moment despite the lack of rain. The broad beans, peas and potatoes are already showing and we had our first asparagus spears earlier this week.

More sowing

Sunday, April 17th, 2011

Added a row of shallots to the onion bed. These aren’t the super strong varieties that we pickle, the small number that I have left of those are due to go in soon.

I also got carrots, lettuce and radish sown outside plus brassicas inside. Due to a massive over production of cabbages through the years, I’m limiting these to significantly less. Since I know that we’re responsible for Christmas lunch this year sprouts were also included. Stuff such as turnip, kohl rabi and swede will go in at a later date.

More things in the ground and on it

Saturday, April 9th, 2011

Another hours long session today with beans, peas and potatoes going into the ground. I also covered the area around the fruit trees with cardboard to keep the weeds down.

Long days work

Friday, April 8th, 2011

Had a day off today so was able to get caught up with the planting of onions and parsnips. Both these take about 90 minutes each to properly get them sorted.

The onions needed a chunk of ground forking over then planting the sets so that there is enough space between them. The parsnips need cone shaped holes creating, filling with a mixture of compost and grit sand and finally three seeds sown in each one. It’s a lot of faff but does result in fantastic large non-forked roots.

 

Watering things

Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

Slight lack of time has meant that all I’ve been able to do up at the allotment has been water the leeks and onions that were sown a while back. Some have failed to appear and have been resown with newer seed.

The rest of the crop seem to be doing well along with that sown at home.

Potatoes!

Friday, April 1st, 2011

Got the first early potatoes in the ground. Two rows of ten sets each. One of Home Guard and the other Swift. Not that many in a row and I had some left over to plant back at the new garden at home.