Stgeli's Allotment blog

|

Describing my allotment since 2011

Archive for the ‘Existing allotment’ Category

Fire

Sunday, June 26th, 2011

Finally got round to burning the large collection of hawthorn clippings. It took three attempt to start but once it got going it was only an hour to clear it all away. working on the fire in front of an eight foot flame on one of the hottest mornings of the year soon exhausted my drinking water supply and I was only able to do some weeding between the peas before I had to call it a day.

Peas and tomatoes

Sunday, June 12th, 2011

Loads done today in a long session. I got the pig wire around my next two rows of peas completed, placed some wire around my runner beans, planted out lettuce and sowed some radish inside that area. Staked up the sunflowers cut my last asparagus. It’s been a very good season for this despite the lack of water. They can all now grow into fronds to supply energy for next year.

I also spent time in the greenhouse clearing out all the areas to allow me to space out the tomatoes. My potting bench, which was formed from three pallets, came apart during the process but it is fixable. After a quick sweep out, I have eight tomato plants in individual pots. Usually I do them in growbags but they are trickier to water so I’m trying this for a year to see what the results are like.

More weeding

Friday, June 10th, 2011

This time the weeding was around the onions. Half was done the old way of individually picking the weeds out while the other half was done with a draw hoe. The latter was certainly faster and easier but I’ll have to see which of the two is the better longer term.

Bit of tidying in the greenhouse and that was it for today.

More weeding

Wednesday, June 8th, 2011

Cleared all the weeds around what remains of my parsnips. Only about half of the 30 or so that were planted have started to grow. That’s with planting sowing three seeds in each space. This happens every year despite my efforts.

Elsewhere, I planted out hte first runner beans and sowed some more French ones. Everything else is doing quite well, even my sick looking Swift potatoes appear to be recovering.

Thankfully the rain we have had recently saved me 25 minutes watering everything.

More planting out

Saturday, June 4th, 2011

This time it was the sweet corn, pumpkins and courgettes that were brought up from home helping to empty out that greenhouse. The last two were accompanied by their collar of sheep’s wool pellets to keep the slugs away.

it can be found at http://www.sluggone.com/ and is an excellent solution to keeping slugs and snails off your delicate plants.

More watering again due to the long dry periods.

Water and heat

Thursday, June 2nd, 2011

Too warm and sunny up at the allotment to do anything other than water things. At least I have enough water collected over time to not have to drag it up from my former home. The French beans have popped up at last which is good. I’ll probably plant a few more in the near future and the runner beans are looking good in the greenhouse, not long before they can go out.

Sun and sunflowers

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011

Slight error on my part meant that I didn’t have my hat on what was a rather warm afternoon. This limited my work out in the open to just clearing an area and then planting out the sunflowers grown from seed at home. I didn’t have any last year and hadn’t realised until I noticed that the normal place looked very bare round about August.

Another row of turnips, that I strangely enough called beetroot on the plant label, and that we me done for the afternoon as the sun was starting to get to me.

Brassicas

Sunday, May 29th, 2011

Spent almost the whole morning putting up the netting over the area where my brassicas will be planted. So my cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts and kohl rabi are now protected from the interests of the pigeons. Unlike previous years, I’m only planting as many as I know I will need. So just enough cabbages to pickle and a few sprouts for Christmas. Plenty of kohl rabi, ‘though as they are a very useful vegetable and well worth growing.

The area itself is a bit of a pain to get into not helped by a rather badly planned portion of lower netting. Still it’s functional and the act of planting out has cleared a bit more space in my greenhouse.

More weeding

Friday, May 27th, 2011

Being too windy to do any net based work, I just did a load more weeding of areas such as the lavender at the front. That has been a constant good performer since it was grown from seed several years ago although it is difficult to get all the grass out from in between the individual plants.

Lots of work

Sunday, May 22nd, 2011

Spent most of the morning tidying up the greenhouse to accommodate the newly arrived tomato plants from home. I managed to rid myself of some trays and pots by planting out the lettuce and onions that I had grown from seed.

Plenty of sowing as well. To cover for the poor performance of the sweetcorn propagation, I sowed some more in the hope that I’ll have enough for a decent crop. I also sowed more lettuce indoors and some radish outside. Talking of radish, the first crop was picked and was very nice.