Stgeli's Allotment blog

|

Describing my allotment since 2011

Fire

June 26th, 2011

Finally got round to burning the large collection of hawthorn clippings. It took three attempt to start but once it got going it was only an hour to clear it all away. working on the fire in front of an eight foot flame on one of the hottest mornings of the year soon exhausted my drinking water supply and I was only able to do some weeding between the peas before I had to call it a day.

More weeding and digging

June 24th, 2011

Remove a huge quantity of small dock plants, the usual amount of thistle shoots and a large collection of rocks from the area where everything is planted. IT will be better for a dig and fork later in the year to try and remove as many roots as possible. That said everything is doing well including he pumpkins that are just starting to expand out.  All this was done under the watchful gaze of Lucy, our rabbit, who was out in her run.

After lunch it was a session of more digging in another area. I made it to a corner and now have a completed side. The tree stump roots are getting thicker and thicker plus the actual corner had a significant amount of driveway chippings to remove.

It is, however, getting there slowly and every session like today’s moves me a bit closer and tidies up the garden just that bit more.

Edging work

June 17th, 2011

Worked my way along the north side of the planting patch that borders onto part of the lawn. I put in some green plastic edging to separate the two areas leaving a gap wide enough for me to get my tractor through from the garage to the back lawn.

The digging work continues although I am getting closer to the old tree stump making progress often very slow. Whether I’ll be able to remove the stump is another matter.

Everything else, save the first rows of potatoes seem to be doing very well although the rather stony ground is proving a challenge for the radishes.

Peas and tomatoes

June 12th, 2011

Loads done today in a long session. I got the pig wire around my next two rows of peas completed, placed some wire around my runner beans, planted out lettuce and sowed some radish inside that area. Staked up the sunflowers cut my last asparagus. It’s been a very good season for this despite the lack of water. They can all now grow into fronds to supply energy for next year.

I also spent time in the greenhouse clearing out all the areas to allow me to space out the tomatoes. My potting bench, which was formed from three pallets, came apart during the process but it is fixable. After a quick sweep out, I have eight tomato plants in individual pots. Usually I do them in growbags but they are trickier to water so I’m trying this for a year to see what the results are like.

More digging

June 11th, 2011

Cleared another small piece of land. The rock hard soil along with the previous house’s owner’s desire to bury stuff like bailer string and chicken wire tended to slow progress down. I am getting there and ought to have a significant amount done by the end of summer.

I also planted out the last sunflowers as they were struggling in their pots. Most of the planted stuff is doing OK with the exception of one strain of first early potatoes. It’s happening at my allotment as well and may be as a result of the frost damage earlier in the year.

More weeding

June 10th, 2011

This time the weeding was around the onions. Half was done the old way of individually picking the weeds out while the other half was done with a draw hoe. The latter was certainly faster and easier but I’ll have to see which of the two is the better longer term.

Bit of tidying in the greenhouse and that was it for today.

More weeding

June 8th, 2011

Cleared all the weeds around what remains of my parsnips. Only about half of the 30 or so that were planted have started to grow. That’s with planting sowing three seeds in each space. This happens every year despite my efforts.

Elsewhere, I planted out hte first runner beans and sowed some more French ones. Everything else is doing quite well, even my sick looking Swift potatoes appear to be recovering.

Thankfully the rain we have had recently saved me 25 minutes watering everything.

More planting out

June 4th, 2011

This time it was the sweet corn, pumpkins and courgettes that were brought up from home helping to empty out that greenhouse. The last two were accompanied by their collar of sheep’s wool pellets to keep the slugs away.

it can be found at http://www.sluggone.com/ and is an excellent solution to keeping slugs and snails off your delicate plants.

More watering again due to the long dry periods.

Water and heat

June 2nd, 2011

Too warm and sunny up at the allotment to do anything other than water things. At least I have enough water collected over time to not have to drag it up from my former home. The French beans have popped up at last which is good. I’ll probably plant a few more in the near future and the runner beans are looking good in the greenhouse, not long before they can go out.

Two more rows

May 31st, 2011

Row of salad onions and beetroot in the newly created area. The soil is a bit lumpy so I’m not expecting miracles but it ought to be reasonably fertile only having had weeds growing on it for all this time. The area left will be home to some pumpkins and courgette plants.